Saturday 19 May 2012

Ultimate Frisbee - Brrrrrr . . .

I will always be happy that Tim is athletic. I'll be the first to admit - I have a weakness for muscles. Tim's muscles aren't so much the bulky kind as the I-have-as-much-energy-as-a-cocker-spaniel-puppy kind. There is not a spare ounce on the kid. To keep it that way, he runs, he bikes, he teaches (apparently a big calorie burner), he canoes, and he plays ultimate frisbee. Ultimate frisbee is two nights a week all through the summer and it has started already. Like he doesn't already have enough on his plate, but it makes him happy. 




I dropped by his game last night after picking up a new fishing license at Canadian Tire and it made me think of a few things:
  1. Is there anything more intimidating than walking up to a sports event when you're not playing? There they are, all unified as a team in matching colours, hollering about the plays and groaning and cheering in unison. I don't know the first thing about ultimate frisbee, and team sports just aren't a strength of mine. I don't like people losing . . . So sports kind of cause problems for me. I'm just not competitive. It made me miss watching the GYS team play intramurals in university at Trent - I always knew I had a place there, taking pictures and cheering on my friends. I'd love to do that for Tim, but I just don't know the players on his team, and I feel like I would look weird doing that as an adult. I hate those feelings of insecurity!! 
  2. I'll have to get over that, though, because watching Tim run makes me grin like watching a toddler and a puppy. He's FAST. I think his main motive might be just to confuse people, because he seems to run around in circles a lot, and when he corners his arms flail in a rather entertaining fashion. It makes me want to throw my arms around him and jump in place like a lunatic. I might one day give in to that impulse, I hope there isn't anyone around with a camera.
  3. I had no idea how competitive ultimate frisbee is! These guys are SERIOUS about this game. There are strategies and they're calling plays and they get upset when they make mistakes. The players off the field are not resting - they're following the play on the field, noting weak and strong players, calling out encouragement and warnings. Tim was going on last night about how some of the people on his team and the opposing team play internationally. There are organized international ultimate frisbee teams? Who knew! I'm definitely going to have to beef up my knowledge of the rules and the game, because I was so lost. 
  4. Watching sports in Ontario in May in the evening is cold. I don't care how good the weather has been, with a little breeze and the sun going down, I was shivering like a leaf. I did not stay long. Next time, I need to wear something a little less fashionable with a little more warmth factor. Like a parka.

No comments:

Post a Comment