Wednesday 23 May 2012

The Local Restaurant Scene - Mainstreet Landing

It seems to be Tim's tradition to go out for breakfast or lunch on the way home from a camping trip. While I'm usually beat and ready to just get home, I was happy to stop at Mainstreet Landing in Buckhorn on our way back to Peterborough. Mostly because winding cottage roads and a predilection towards motion sickness do NOT mix well.


 Tim enjoying a cold caesar after a long weekend


Mainstreet Landing has a perfect location on Lakehurst Road in Buckhorn right beside Lock 31. They have a very large patio shaded with beautiful trees. It's a really great place to people and boat watch and it was SO busy on the Monday of a long weekend. There was a wait to get a table with an umbrella, but only for ten or fifteen minutes. There was also a bit of a wait for food, even though we only ordered sandwiches. But after a whole weekend in the woods, it was nice to wash our hands and sit in the shade with a cold drink. We even got to see a very interesting personal paddle boat houseboat. It caused quite a stir with most of the people on the patio. Service was very attentive and polite, even given the extreme heat and how incredibly busy they were.

Tim got a Reuben although they didn't have rye bread. The corned beef was pretty good, but I think I prefer my Reuben's in a panini press rather than just on toast. I got a chicken fajita wrap . . . but it was a rather liberal interpretation of a fajita. The chicken was cold, which was fine. There were peppers and onions, as there should be. But there was also lots of lettuce, mushrooms, and tomatoes. Really, it was a chicken wrap that they served with salsa and sour cream. The French fries, on the other hand, were wonderful. Light and fluffy but very crispy. If I was being picky (which at the time I wasn't at all, I just wanted them in my mouth) they could have used a tad more salt.

While the food wasn't exceptional, it was at least good. The location and the exceptional service made up for the food being lackluster - I would recommend anyone passing through Buckhorn stop here on a nice day.

No comments:

Post a Comment