Friday 4 May 2012

Not So Impulse Buys - The Great Sleeping Bag Debate

So Tim LOVES to camp. I really genuinely enjoy camping, although I've always been a bit more preferential towards just hiking (less stuff to worry about). But camping is still a lot of fun, and I love that it's something Tim and I can do together.

The main problem is, I haven't been seriously into camping since I was a teenager, and I just don't really own any good gear any more. And camping, I'd argue, is a gearhead activity. Tim has a good sleeping bag. He has a tent. He has lots of outdoorsy-type clothes (all he wears, really).


So I need to buy some gear. I bought a really nice pair of Merrill winter hikers (these ones, actually) and a nice set of GSI camp dishes (this one) both from Wild Rock Outfitters right in downtown Peterborough. Tim bought me this nice Therm-A-Rest as part of my birthday present. Since Tim already has a tent and seems to be fine with me borrowing his brother's pack when I need to, the next really crucial piece of equipment I need is a good sleeping bag. Only Tim and I seem to have two different opinions of what constitutes a good sleeping bag. 

I plan long term - it's both an incredible strength and weakness of mine. A strength because planning for the future is necessary and can save you time overall, but a weakness because I get pretty anxious when I feel like I'm not prepared. Going winter camping with Tim in February was stressful - I almost backed out multiple times, I cried . . . I like to avoid that happening. So in my mind, the logical thing to do is to buy a really nice summer bag that can be extended into three seasons with a liner and an overbag, and then to eventually buy a really nice winter bag. A winter bag will eventually be a great asset because it gets COLD in Ontario in the winter. When we were camping in February it got to -24 Celsius overnight. I don't want to initially go with too cold of a bag rating because I can't sleep if I get hot, and roasting all night in a too-warm bag will decrease the pleasure of camping for me. Generally a summer bag is considered anything rated 0 Celsius and up. 

I also want a really light bag, because Tim (while a gentleman and a scholar and sometimes Tim the Enchanter) will not carry my crap for me when we go. It's not a big deal if we're car camping or really if we're canoe camping (although I already think portages are going to suck) but any backcountry we do I have to think of carrying my stuff for hours each day. For years I've toyed with the idea of doing the Bruce Trail section from Tobermory to Wiarton, or even down into Owen Sound. And now that I have a boyfriend who gets excited about that kind of thing, it might actually happen. (Tobermory to Wiarton, if you're curious, is a 240 km section alone.)

I can't sacrifice quality for weight, though, because I want something that will last a long time. Something that I can shove in a stuff sack without being too worried about damage. So there are my criteria - I want a summer bag that can be warm enough to go into late spring and early fall. It needs to be great quality, and not weigh much. So I did the next logical step and looked up sleeping bag reviews online. The best lightweight bag around seems to be the Western Mountaineering UltraLite, according to this ConsumerSearch article. Magically, MEC sells Western Mountaineering and I have a membership. Only the UltraLite is rated to -7 Celsius and the description says that it is NOT a very durable sleeping bag. So, going a temperature gradient up, there is the Western Mountaineering SummerLite bag that has GREAT reviews. It's warm, it's light, it's red, it's in stock! 



It's also $330.00 before taxes, which is where Tim went, 'Whooooaaaaa Nelly!' (Or he would have, if he had the slightest country bone in his body. He doesn't.) He said he would consider a really good sleeping bag to be worth - at most - $180.00. He wants me to look at the MEC branded ones. I did . . . They weigh more, they look cheaper, and, to be perfectly honest, I don't like the colours. They do have good reviews. And are significantly cheaper. 

So here's my dilemma. I'm saving up the money to buy the sleeping bag (by not going out drinking -  my liver approves). There is other camping stuff I need/want. I COULD put the money I would save to good use buying other stuff . . . But I probably won't. As I told Sarah this morning, I'd rather overspend for something that is more than what I need, than regret spending less on something that might not satisfy my requirements. I'll probably buy the Western Mountaineering bag, but I'm going to have to take REALLY good care of it. I'll let Tim try to convince me to do otherwise, but I'm guessing that he'll be the first person to 'borrow' it once I have it!

No comments:

Post a Comment