Friday 11 May 2012

Not So Impulse Buys - Grown Up Furniture!

I can't believe it's only three weeks until Tim and I move into our new place! It's been months since we signed the lease, and for so long it's felt like forever until we got to move in. But as soon as he moved in with me here, everything just hit hyperdrive. Now it seems like there are a million things to do:

  • Set up hydro, natural gas, internet, and cable
  • Set up home insurance
  • Sort and pack my stuff here
  • Sort and pack my stuff at home
  • Figure out a moving vehicle
  • Make a list of stuff we need
On the top of the list of stuff we need was definitely furniture. Currently, I own a beautiful bed frame/headboard/footboard/mattress set that my parents gave my for Christmas, a matching dresser that they gave me for my birthday, a matching desk/dressing table, two small bookcases, one large bookcase, a large desk, a set of glass brick shelves, a small entryway table, a big white pantry, and a beautiful pine sideboard. Oh, and a two-door filing cabinet. Tim has a coffee table that he loves more than he loves me, a set of mattresses, and I *think* a dresser. That leaves us missing a few large pieces of furniture that are going to be pretty necessary - a couch and a dining table, at least. Tim also wanted a flat screen TV - my old massive TV just isn't cutting it for him. 

A month or so ago we popped into The Brick just to check things out, get an eye for what things cost and what we might like. Right after walking in the door, Tim saw a sectional (he's mad for sectionals for some reason) that he loved, and I loved. It's a good compromise - it's a sectional, which he wanted, and in a light cream colour, which I wanted. It doesn't have a chaise on it, but I'll deal. 


We also found a table that I really liked - counter height, dark wood, capable of seating eight (although I'd need to buy extra chairs). Tim liked that it was sturdy. Men. 


The sales guy there was super friendly so we chatted to him a bit about when we were moving and he said we might be interested in the VIP sale on May 10th. At that point it felt like waiting forever, but it's not as if we had any place to store the furniture in the meantime anyways. 

So, May 10th being yesterday, Tim went in to check out how good this sale actually was. It turns out everything in the store was 25% off - which constitutes a pretty big savings when you're spending a few thousand dollars. So I told him to go for it! He bought the table, but not the sectional. He's worried we won't be able to get it into the house. So we're going to wait until we get in so that we can do some measurements. He also bought a TV! A Samsung 46" 1080p LED TV - top of the line. 


I can't wait to see everything in the house!

No comments:

Post a Comment