Saturday 19 May 2012

The Great Outdoors - The Prep Stage

When this post goes live, I'm hoping Tim and I will either still be in bed sleeping (it has been a LONG week) or we'll have calmly packed all our necessary camping items into the Element and be on our way either camping, or to Tim's parents' house for tea and to pick up the canoe. If this happens, it will be because we've (I've) planned out where we're going, what the weather is going to be like, what food we'll be eating, what equipment/clothing we need to pack, etc. As I've mentioned before, Tim is not a planner but is getting better, most likely to save me from an imminent mental breakdown. Because when I think about going camping, it goes something like this:

When are we going? For how many days? Is anyone coming with us? Where are we going? Do we need to book a campsite? Are we car camping, hiking in, or canoeing in?  Will there be water? If there is water, can we go fishing? What is the weather going to be like? What equipment do I have? What equipment do I need? What equipment do I want? What equipment does Tim have that I can borrow? What are we going to eat? Who is going to get the groceries? When I am going to pack?





It's a process. I want to go - don't doubt that. But the more prepared I feel, the less stressed I am. I have dreams of a spot in the new house where all of our outdoors equipment can go, arranged by hiking vs. camping and then by season. Sadly, I think Tim will think I'm insane if I colour code the bins.

For our three day/two night trip this weekend (Tim says we're going to Cold Lake, I have no clue where this is) I have made my list of required "To bring"s:
  • Backpack (Tim's brother's)
  • Camelbak daypack w/full water bladder
  • My new Western Mountaineering Summerlite sleeping bag (Eeeeeeee! So excited!)
  • Hiking bag for a sleeping bag liner
  • Trail Scout Therm-a-Rest sleeping pad
  • Pillowcase
  • GSI camping dish set
  • GSI Crossover kitchen set
  • Bodum coffee maker (for Tim, the addict)
  • Camping knife
  • Fishing license
  • Fishing pole and gear
  • Camera plus extra batteries
  • Tripod (if I have extra room)
  • Kobo eReader
  • Headlamp (Tim's)
  • Combination whistle/compass/thermometer
  • Multitool
  • Trash bag and freezer bags
  • SAS survival guide (a bit of a good luck charm of mine)
  • Dental floss
  • Toothbrush and toothpaste
  • Bug spray
  • Sunscreen
  • Lip balm with sunscreen
  • Toilet paper
  • Hand sanitizer
  • Compact mirror
  • Comb
  • Contact solution and case
  • Hiking shoes
  • Camp sandals (if I can find them, I think they might still be packed at home)
  • Rain shell
  • Sweater
  • Two long sleeve shirts
  • Three tanks/tees
  • Two pairs of pants
  • Two pairs of shorts
  • Towel
  • Three pairs of shorts
  • Swimsuit
  • Underwear
  • Hat
  • Sunglasses

From this list, I know that I need to ask Tim to remember the pack and the headlamp for me. I need to go to Canadian Tire tonight to renew my fishing license and pick up a few lures. I need to make a menu and grocery list. I need to charge my cameras and eReader.

I'm sure it will go down without more than a little bump or two. But I feel so much better almost instantaneously just for having written it all down!

*UPDATE - May 22, 2012*

This trip was HOT. Here are a few things not on the prep list that I'm very glad we brought:

  • Camping chairs
  • Hammock
  • Prescription medication
And here are the things on the prep list that we didn't need/use:
  • Extra sleeping bag as liner - too hot.
  • Too much fishing gear - need a much smaller kit . . . Honestly. The big tackle box was so excessive.
  • Hiking shoes - my flip-flops were enough for the limited hiking we did.
  • Rain shell - no rain.
  • Lulu pants - my light hiking pants were enough.
Also, here are some things that we need for next time:
  • Hanging lantern for light
  • Small tackle box
  • White lightweight shirt for Tim
  • Backpack for me - I use Chris's right now, but it's way too big and heavy.
  • Hiking sandal shoes - Tim has a pair of Keen's Waterfront shoes and I was so jealous.

No comments:

Post a Comment