Wednesday 30 May 2012

Good Deeds - Ve Vant Your BLOOOD!

At the beginning of 2012, I finally decided that I wanted to start giving blood regularly. My mother does and I've always really admired people who make an effort to make a regular donation.


My pretty teal dressing and mango juice!


The first time I gave blood was a pretty good experience. It took a while to do the actual donation but I felt so proud of myself afterwards. The best part of that first donation was the call I received three days after I donated from Canadian Blood Services to thank me. They had already used my donation to help a patient!! I was stoked!

My second attempt was not nearly as positive. I had gone out drinking the night before, so dehydration combined with my chronically low blood pressure means that I failed at the donation. Notably, they tell you that you never fail - you give one unit, which is around 450 mL. I was going so slowly that my blood clotted at around 165 mL and they stopped the process.

This time I was much smarter - I booked the appointment at 6:00 pm on a workday, instead of a Saturday morning. I drank lots of water at work on Monday, plus almost four litres yesterday. It was borderline unpleasant - I was so bloated in the afternoon and having to go to the bathroom every twenty minutes or so. But the donation itself went so well!! The prep takes about 25-30 minutes of check-in, a hemoglobin test, paperwork, and a short interview. Both of the last times I was hooked up to the line for the actual donation it took around 20 minutes. Last night I was done in under 10, even though my blood pressure was only 96/55! Then you have to sit around for 5-10 in the chair and another 10-15 at the refreshment stand. There are lots of chips, cookies, juice, coffee, tea, pop, water, even ice cream this time!

I won't lie and say it's a pleasant process. The needle hurts (it's big) and it's uncomfortable sitting there with blood coming out of you. But everyone at the clinic is SO nice. I love going there just as a social outing. The nurses are always friendly, the volunteer at the refreshment station loves to chat about fishing, and everyone just seems to be in a really good mood - probably because they all know they're doing a really good thing. Less than 4% of the population donates. Of the blood donated, almost all of it is used within the first 4-5 days. The hospitals are using all of it that's donated - there isn't enough for them to have a surplus.

So I would absolutely recommend you all make an appointment to go in at Canadian Blood Services. If you need somebody to come with you, just let me know! Or if you want to come with me when I donate to check it out, that's fine too.

No comments:

Post a Comment