Thursday 28 June 2012

Wedding Season - Allie and Eric's Buck and Doe

I almost thought that I was going to Allie and Eric's buck and doe on Saturday night by myself. After a full day of Newfie Horseshoes and drinking, neither Tim nor I were really in any state to keep going. We fell asleep once we got home and when we woke up around 8:00, Tim actually thought it was the next morning and we had missed the whole thing!


While I got ready, he made a pot of coffee. I thought a shower would be more helpful, but he definitely won out - by the end of the night (who am I kidding? Twenty minutes in) I was absolutely exhausted and he had his second wind. 


Drunk love!


Tim picking numbers and cards and buying insurance and all sorts of other fun fundraising activities.

Allie and Eric were originally planning on holding the buck and doe at their own house, but eventually realized that that option might actually be more inconvenient than renting a venue. They (or perhaps the bridal party) chose the back room at Splice Lounge instead. It was a great choice!! 


Tim and all the ladies doing the toonie toss!

The buck and does I'm used to from back home are slightly different than they are here in Peterborough. back home, you generally make all your money through drink sales. You rent an arena or the community hall and all your slightest acquaintances show up. There are usually a couple of hundred people. But it's easier - when you live in a place where the nearest bar is a half hour's drive away, these parties are huge draws for people to come out and socialize.

In Peterborough, I've noticed it's more likely to be your closest friends attending - usually the ones that will be invited to the wedding. Also, most venues don't let you do your own bar, so you don't make money off of the drinks, or if you do it's only 25 or 50 cents. Most of the money at these events are through games. 

Blaire and the rest of the wedding party did a great job organizing various fundraising games. You could buy insurance that guaranteed you wouldn't have to eat something nasty, you could pick a card to win a $50 bill. There were 50/50 tickets and raffle tickets. There was a longest hula-hooping competition. You could pay to pop a balloon for a prize. As always, there were the toonie tosses. Plus there were lots of great prizes - lots of booze, a patio umbrella, golfing gear, beauty products. It was very well organized, and very well run. 

The space was also really great. Because fewer people here generally come - or they come and then leave, rather than staying the whole night - an arena or community hall is just a bad idea. You need a fairly intimate space that makes it feel like a party. There were lots of people at Allie and Eric's, but it definitely felt like a private party. The back room at Splice was just perfect. 


Male love dance photo courtesy of special guest photographer Blaire Yake

Once the buck and doe had wrapped up around 11:00, the boys had a crazy dance party and then we went to Riley's. It was a great night - now I just can't wait until the wedding!

1 comment:

  1. Looks like great fun! I am also getting married next month and all my relatives and friends have arrived at my place. We party all night and we sleep in the morning a lot. I have booked one of the finest wedding venues for my wedding and I am very excited about my wedding.

    ReplyDelete