Thursday 7 June 2012

Last Night's Dinner - Tim's Special Ingredient Pasta

I invariably cook with recipes. Even if I've made the dish a dozen times and know how to make it inside and out, I still like to have the recipe and my notes there for reference purposes. I have a horrible memory and I'm always a bit scared I'll forget things. I'm a good cook, but I don't think I'm a natural cook. 

Tim, on the other hand, is a natural cook. He remembers recipes and flavour combinations and isn't afraid at all to just start dumping things together. I was so skeptical when he said he was going to make pasta sauce - I have a very set idea of what pasta sauces should taste like, and when I make them from scratch they always seem too acidic and almost brassy tasting. Tim's was perfect. No word of a lie. I was completely floored. This pasta sauce is amazing. 


So proud of himself - ever since we moved in together I find myself saying the words "You're right" rather often. I like him being right . . . But not when it means I'm wrong. 


Tim's Salsa Infused Pasta Sauce
Serves four, or two with generous leftovers


1 large clove garlic, minced
1 red pepper, chopped
1/4 lb of asparagus, chopped into 1" pieces
1 cup of shiitake mushrooms, sliced
2 green onions, sliced
Olive oil
1 large can of crushed tomatoes
1/2 cup salsa
1 cup grated asiago, parmegiano reggiano, gruyere, or other hard aged cheese
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp each dried oregano, dried basil, onion powder
Small shaped pasta - we used cappelletti
Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
Parsley for garnish

Fry the garlic, red pepper, and asparagus in olive oil over medium heat until they are starting to soften. Add the mushrooms and green onions and cook for a minute or two more. Add the crushed tomatoes, salsa, half of the cheese, oregano, and basil. Season with salt and pepper and stir to combine. Simmer gently over low heat for twenty minutes or so.

In the meantime, cook pasta until al dente in salted water (check the package, it will suggest a time as different brands and shapes cook at different speeds). When pasta is done, stir balsamic into pasta sauce.

Plate the pasta, add sauce, and then garnish with parsley and the remainder of the shredded cheese. Serve and enjoy!



The finished product - delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment