Friday 8 June 2012

The Local Restaurant Scene - Hoshi Sushi

I'm not sure if it's Tim's favourite restaurant, but he definitely loves Hoshi Sushi. He used to be something of a regular there, even. As for me, well, sushi has never been my thing. There's something about the texture of the nori that bugs me. But when Tim brought some home one day I tried a piece of his rainbow roll and didn't mind it - so maybe I'm coming around.

Hoshi was actually where I first tried sushi, way back in university with the guy I was dating at the time and a couple of friends. Back then they had little rooms with rice paper walls and it was just the most amazing experience. It was gorgeous, and I just have such a great memory of how it looked. Unfortunately since then they've torn those partitions down and replaced them with what looks to be '70s style wood paneling. Not nearly as nice.

The food was really good, though - only we ordered WAY too much.


First was a small salad and bowls of miso soup, plus an order of edamame. 




I ordered the tempura shrimp and vegetables and it came as this towering mass - on a lovely little doily. Odd. The tempura was great, very light and crisp. It almost dissolved away when you dipped it in the soy/sesame oil/chili dipping sauce. 


Tim's sushi order - a rainbow roll, spicy tuna, and something else that I forget. 


Pretty sushi, wasabi, and pickled ginger. 


Squishing my head!


Mmmm, roe. 


So sad . . . flaccid tempura broccoli.

No comments:

Post a Comment